YEAR END SUMMARY – 2015-2016
This past year, we have seen the departure of several long-term members of the network including Barbara Mitchell (YouCan) and Cindy Ayala (Collaborative Justice) as a result of changing landscapes and funding challenges. As well, members have changed as they’ve moved onto new opportunities such as Taylor Linseman (Youth Net). While membership is evolving, our network continues to engage in information sharing, collaboration and relationship building in keeping with our terms of reference. New members such as Meaghan Thomas (Bayne Sellar Boxall) have afforded new opportunities for our members to network with other bodies such as our attendance at the “5 O’Clock” series with the Defense Council Association.
This fall the planning subcommittee will be busy, reviewing our terms of reference and governance structure, as well as planning a conference for 2017. It is my pleasure to continue to serve a group of such committed and dedicated professionals.
Topics of discussion:
- Roundtable updates on Network members’ activities, sharing of resource information on conferences, RFP’s and events etc…
- Discussions re: trends, emerging challenges and opportunities
- Updates on Time for Change (Ottawa Youth Gangs initiative)
- Updates on Amazing Youth Worker Race initiative
Guests & New Members:
- In October we were glad to welcome new member, Meaghan Thomas (Bayne, Sellar & Boxall) to the network and Louanne Desbiens (Big Brothers, Big Sisters). We were also fortunate to welcome new representatives from Ottawa Probation, Rosemary Diablo & Danny Powers, to network meetings.
- Haleigh Guest, John Howard Society: Presentation on “Time for Change”
- Jeff Leblanc, Ottawa Police Service: Presentation on “Human Trafficking”
- Crystal Sarault, Inquiry re: OYJSN participation in HSJCC Agency Fair Initiative
- Kaite Burkholder, Presentation on “A Way Home” community coalition
- 5 O’Clock Series with Defense Council Association of Ottawa – April 21, 2016
- Agency Fair, July 14, 2016 in collaboration with the Human Services Coordinating Committee and CPO
Planned Activities for 2016-2017
- Membership renewal
- Website migration
- Conference planning for spring 2017 “Mental Health” theme
- Review of Terms of Reference & succession planning for chair
Prepared by: Janet L. Crupi, Chair Ottawa Youth Justice Services Network,