YEAR END SUMMARY – 2014-2015
This past year, in our 15th year as a network, we have been very fortunate to have had a wide-variety of guests in attendance at our regular monthly meetings, providing informative presentations for our members (see “Guests” below). These presentations have afforded us the opportunity to receive valuable professional development knowledge relevant to our workplaces & clients, as well as food for thought, in what I think is a “user-friendly” manner.
Our spring conference was well-received by the attendees who provided overwhelmingly positive feedback about the keynote speaker, Dr. Benjamin Roebuck, and the Youth Panel participants. The event enabled us to engage in some networking, learn more about strength-based strategies/approaches and to recognize that while we work with “high-risk” client populations, there are many examples of success stories to inspire us in our work.
The conference also provided us with the opportunity to celebrate 15 years of the network successfully providing an open forum for discussion, for cross-sectorial communication and of promoting interagency networking, collaboration and sharing of resources and services. 15 years of early morning meetings where real relationships have been built between groups of committed and caring professionals, dedicated to the clients and community they serve. It has been my great pleasure to serve this group in the role of chair for the duration.
Topics of discussion:
- Roundtable updates on Network members’ activities, sharing of resource information on conferences, RFP’s and events etc… and discussions re: trends, emerging challenges and opportunities
- Reports & updates from conference planning subcommittee
- Updates on Ottawa Youth Gangs initiative
- Updates on Amazing Youth Worker Race initiative
- Laili Yazdani, LASI Worldskills – “Community Leadership Network for Families Project”
- Nadine McLean, Rideauwood Addictions & Family Services – “When Eating Disorders & Substance Abuse Problems Collide”
- Jane Fjeld & Monica Armstrong – “Lead Agency for Child & Youth Mental Health” presentation
- Patrick Joseph, Correctional Services Canada – “Ethno-Cultural Advisory Committee”
- Jackie Miller, United Way – “Growing Up Great – Priority Goal Review”
- Bill Gartland, Director of Education, Catholic District School Board – “Creating a Culture of Positive Mental Health”
- OYJSN Conference “Why Some High-Risk Youth Succeed: Building Strength Through Collaboration” March 12, 2015
- Presentation of OYJSN Award of Excellence to Elspeth McKay
Planned Activities for 2015-2016
- Work plan development & planning for 2015-16
- Website migration and update
- Review of network structure
Prepared by: Janet L. Crupi, Chair Ottawa Youth Justice Services Network,