YEAR END SUMMARY – 2011-2012
As we enter our 14th year as a Network, in keeping with our terms of reference, we have continued to serve our members and the community through our monthly meetings and activities. While this has been a quiet year event-wise for the network, we have been engaged in reviewing and developing our communication tools and are in the midst of planning several activities for our members in the coming year such as hosting a breakfast with Youth Justice Ontario in the fall and planning a follow-up to our Youth & Mental Health conference for March 2013. We have been fortunate to have several guests attend our monthly meetings this past year, to inform of us about current issues relevant to our member agencies. Our regular monthly meetings have continued to enjoy good attendance and participation and have provided the forum for discussion as well as promoting interagency networking, information sharing and collaboration.
In June of last year it was announced that there was a funding-cut to the Salvation Army youth CSO program and Natalie Zakaria’s position was lost. Jessica Ripley assumed a new position as the Strategic Youth Program Specialist with the Ottawa Police and Michel Poirier has replaced her in the YouthNet membership at the network while Jessica continues to participate as a network member. Leigh Couture (EOYJA) has also been a regular attendee at meetings. Deborah Kaulback (E. Fry Society) will be taking a year’s sabbatical and we will welcome Mia Mallet in her absence. MCYS Program Supervisor, Youth Justice Division, Jeff Gill has moved on in the ministry and Mike Sullivan is the new program supervisor who we hope will be able to join us at meetings in the fall.
Topics of discussion:
- 2011 Conference follow-up
- United Way new funding approach
- NCPC funding strategy
- Reports & updates from our subcommittees including: Conference planning, Agency Fair, Guest Speakers and the United Way Working Group.
- Roundtable updates on Network member’s activities and trends, sharing of resource information on conferences, RFP’s and events etc… and discussions re: emerging challenges and opportunities
- Student field placements with network agencies
- Carol MacPherson, Media Relations Specialist
- Sophie Rioux, NCPC – National Crime Prevention Strategy Presentation
- Irvin Waller, University of Ottawa & President, International Organization for Victim Assistance – presentation on the Omnibus Bill to Make Canadians Safer
- An award of $500 was presented to the Culinary/Hospitality students of Sir Guy Carleton HS
- Undertook survey regarding the use of the website and communication tools and are currently in the midst of migrating the site and changing the content and “look”
- Creation of one page summary sheet and PowerPoint presentation for the OYJSN
- Review of the Agency Fair model and decision to integrate it with future conferences versus as a “stand-alone” event
- Continued participation in the Ottawa Youth Gangs Initiative
Planned Activities for 2012-2013
- Website migration and update
- OYJSN to host a breakfast with Youth Justice Ontario executive on September 20th
- “Making the Connections” conference slated for March 20th 2013
- Guests for Network meetings to be considered
Prepared by: Janet L. Crupi, Chair Ottawa Youth Justice Services Network,