YEAR END SUMMARY – 2008-09
As we enter our tenth year as a Network, in keeping with our terms of reference, we have continued to serve our members and the community through our monthly meetings and activities. In 2008-09 the next phase of the MCYS transformation project was implemented and as a result we have welcomed some new members to our meetings. In addition to a review of our membership and terms of reference this year, we are currently in the process of revising and updating our website, now housed with Crime Prevention Ottawa. An Agency Fair, held in February, was co-hosted by OYJSN & OCDSB and was very well received by the agencies and school representatives alike. Planning for a fall celebration of the Network’s tenth anniversary is well underway and affords us an opportunity to recognize the ongoing efforts of our member agency’s workers in ensuring effective services and programming to meet the needs of the Ottawa community. I believe we have much to celebrate.
In the fall of 2008, a membership review was undertaken and several agencies identified new representatives to participate at our monthly meetings. New faces at the table included Kelly Raymond replacing retired Jackie Woodward as a CAS representative, Brenda Kelly replacing Patrick Slack from Youth Now Interventions Services and Krista Pantalone representing Phoenix House for Youth. We welcomed Elspeth McKay, the new ED of Operation Go-Home to the table, Kathy Neff, the new ED of EOYJA and Gail Steeds replacing Dave Fagan as a representative of Probation Services. Jessica Ripley returned assuming a new position with Youth Net while Desiree Rapoch assumed a new position with United Way and both will continue to serve with the OYJSN. Confirmation of continued membership of various agencies was also completed and a new member agency, Crossroads Children’s Centre represented by Mike Hone was invited to join.
Topics of discussion:
- Review on the Roots of Youth Violence report was received.
- Updates on the Open-Custody/Detention Transformation Project and reinvestment of dollars into the youth justice system.
- Updates from the working group on Ottawa youth gangs co-chaired by Gord Boyd & Michael Justinich
- Updates on the Children & Youth Agenda and the new City framework
- Updates on the IDAS and plans for local youth addictions treatment facility
- Impact of Ottawa bus strike on programs and services
- Role of Provincial Advocate and identification of local concerns and issues as they relate to his office.
- Roundtable updates on Network member’s activities and trends, sharing of resource information on conferences, RFP’s and events etc… and discussions re: emerging challenges and opportunities
- NCPC funding processes and challenges were discussed and an agreement to have NCPC as guests to fall meeting
- Inventory of Services and 211 Linkages
- Reports from our Communications, Membership, Training and Anniversary Planning subcommittees
- Irwin Elman, Provincial Advocate for Children and Youth
- Josee Boulianne, presentation on MCYS Strategic Framework: Realizing Potential, Our Children, Our Youth, Our Future.
- Continued participation in the Ottawa Youth Gangs Initiative including an October conference on best practices and gang prevention and a local research project on youth gangs.
- Review of OYJSN membership and terms of reference completed.
- Compilation of Network representation on other networks and committees.
- Agency Fair co-hosted by OYJSN & OCDSB held in February and planning for another such event in the fall of 2009.
- Letter of thanks prepared to the Director of Education of OCDSB for their collaboration in delivering the Agency Fair
- Letter of support for Ministry Framework and identifying need for integrated and collaborative system.
- A subcommittee met with the Provincial Advocate to discuss ways to meet the need for bilingual services for Ontario francophone youth in conflict or at risk of being in conflict with the law
- Planning for September celebration of Network’s 10th Anniversary.
- Transfer and revision of website
Planned Activities for 2009-2010:
- 10 Year Anniversary Celebration – September 17th
- Second Agency Fair (date to be determined)
- Presentation by NCPC on criteria for funding and reporting requirements
Prepared by: Janet L. Crupi, Chair Ottawa Youth Justice Services Network,